Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Start Spreading the News, I'm leaving Today...

This may not be my final New York blog (I still have one weekend left to write about) but it is going to be my 'Goodbye New York' blog.
It has always been my dream to come and live in New York, and the feeling of a dream coming true...is unbelievable. This year has superceeded all my expectations and will not be a year I forget quickly. The memories, the experiences and the changes have been wonderful and it is so very hard to say goodbye.

New York City. Everything that's ever been written, said or sung about it seems to be true. It's a world of its own - an amazing city with so much to see, do and experience that even a lifetime wouldn't be long enough. I have been to almost every neighbourhood and experienced its uniqueness.
I've been lucky enough to feel the flavour of Harlem at the theatrical heart - the 'Apollo Theatre'.
I've walked up the upperclass streets of the Upper East Side and seen the most beautiful brownstones straight out of a movie. I've slept on the Upper West Side and explored its Museum of Natural History half a dozen times.
In between these two neighbourhoods is Central Park, without a doubt one of my favourite places in the city (and no I will not spell favourite without the 'u'). It's hard to describe the feeling, but let me try. Being in such a busy, bustling, crazy, non-stop city one moment, then as soon as you step into the park it's the complete opposite. Even in the middle of summer, in the most packed part of the park, you feel all of a sudden calmer, more serene and alone. Even with all those people you still feel like the park is just yours and no-one else should really be there. The carousel, Woolman skating rink, Alice in Wonderland statue, Belvedere Castle, the great lawn, the mall, Bethesda Fountain - the list goes on and on and every inch of the park is beautiful and different and amazing. Something that was completely man designed feels completely natural. Each season is uniquely different and beautiful - bright flowers in the spring, hot beaming sun of the summer, yellow leaves engulfing you during fall and a blanket of white snow during winter. I love this park and it will be one of the things I miss most about the city.
Midtown (or tourist central) has been my destination more times then I can count. Times Square, 5th Avenue, Bryant Park, Hell's Kitchen. I have walked these places dozens of times - or when it comes to Times Square I should say I've been cattle proded through! I've felt rich and glamourous walking past Prada, Tiffany & Co and Saks 5th Avenue. I've felt epileptic viewing the lights, people and energy of Times Square.
My other favourite place in the city, after the park, is the village (Greenwich Village) where I've lunched, shopped, wandered and watched the parade from. It is a wonderful little neighbourhood and my choice of where to live if I ever moved to New York. The people and flavour of the neighbourhood is edgy, artsy, bohemian, intelligant. Its a great example of how different each neighbourhood of Manhattan is - like they are each their own seperate little cities within the big city.
Chinatown where you can't walk a step without someone asking you to buy their product or someone whispering in your ear 'Prada, Gucci, Chanel'.
Little Italy, this alive, boistrious little neighbourhood full of restaurant after restaurant of delicious smelling food.
Battery Park - the furtherest point south on the island. It's also home to ferries to both Staten and Liberty island, both of which I've ridden on. They give the most amazing views of Lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty who looks over all the hustle and bustle. The city's skyline takes my breath away whether by daylight or under the stars.
It's not just the neighbourhoods themselves I'll miss but also the memories I've made in them on numerous trips with my dear friends. Riding around town in the big Sex & the City bus drinking Carrie's cosmos and eating Magnolia cupcakes. Seeing 'The Lion King' with Sarah and 'Chicago' with Laura; and of course my favourite 'Wicked'. Exploring the Times Square shops for the first time with Casey and eating at Planet Hollywood with AJ. Playing in the snow at Central Park with the girls after lunch at 'Serendipitys'. Watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade or picnicing in Central Park.
This city feels like a living thing, always moving, always changing, always growing, always alive - and I always feel alive when I'm in it. Definitly going to miss old New York.


New York is not the only place I am saying goodbye to. Westchester County has been my home for almost 12 months and even though its more the memories I'll miss then actual places, its definitly going to be sad to eat my last dinner at 'The Cheesecake Factory' or drink my last frappe at 'Starbucks'. I'll have to get use to saying Amcal again instead of CVS and won't be able to eat anymore crazy Westchester yoghurt. I will say goodbye to my favourite spot at the River (but never goodbye to my bench buddies) and even the aqueduct (LOL). CPK, the cinemas & target, the strip/central ave.


The last, hardest, saddest goodbyes will be to my beautiful friends. Alice, Alissa, Frannie, Lou, Sarah, Steph, Matt, Emily, Jade, Christina, Dani, Olivia, Becky. All have been apart of my year for at least a few months, and all have a place in my heart. When I first got here Alice, Alissa, Frannie and Lou welcomed me with open arms especially Alice and Alissa. Sarah and Steph soon followed and quickly became my lifesavers. Matt was with us for a few months and then summer hit and Emily, Jade, Christina and Dani added their own awesome flavours to the group. Lastly, Olivia and Becky have arrived in the last month and have become great friends so quickly.
Alice and Alissa, you girls are a package and a package I could not do without! Alice, your kindness and selflessness is so beautiful! Your always there for everyone and so considerate and just a great friend. Alissa you are such a strong woman and so funny and confident. You girls have only been gone a short while and I already miss you! You were here basically my whole year, and it wouldn't have been what it was without you. Thankgod we live close back home, and will see each other soon!
Frannie how I loved it when you were here and oh how I've missed you since you've gone :( You are a crazy, fun, loyal friend who I have shared so many fun times with by the river, in the city and shared so many secrets and memories and jokes. I have definitly made a friend for life with you, and I can't wait for the next time we can travel together!
Becki and Olivia, I have barely spent a month with you girls, but I have loved every minute! Olivia you are so smily and cheerful and Becki you are so funny and such a lovely person. I wish we had more time together, but I know we can always keep in touch.
Lou, scrapbooking queen, so funny and stylish. Glad we got a chance to know each other before you moved to Boston, and am sure we will catch up back in Oz.
Jade you funny sexy pants gal! Will miss you lots but I am sure we will still skype a plenty (clothes optional)!
Matt even though you were only in Westchester a couple months, you are still a great friend, and I miss you dearly.
Dani I am going to miss having fun with you! You are so funny and crazy and just bring the party to life! You always swim through the nile, and make your way across the plains of Africa to hang out with us, and I'm so glad you do!
Emily, Emily, Emily you crazy awesome girl! I love everything about you and am so glad to call you my friend =) Words can't describe you, and I can't wait to see you back in Australia!
Christina, you sexy sexy bitch! Love that we share the same sense of humour, love that you are also so very good to talk to, a great listener with great advice. Can't wait to see you in Brisvegas and the GC, party on when you get home!
Steph my fellow hag, haha gonna miss you soooo much! The laughter, the hulk, the memories. I can't wait to see you back on both coasts, and I hope you live it up during the rest of your stay here. My year wouldn't be the same without you!
Sarah my bench buddy, cant describe how much I will miss you. Don't be surprised to come home and find me knitting with Elphie, all my bags unpacked ready to live on your coast haha. So glad you have been here almost all my year and I got to spend so much time, and so many memories, and such a beautiful friendship with you.
I love all my New York (and CT) Aussie girls and can't wait to see them again.


Saying goodbye to this era of my life, this city, and these friends is going to be impossibly hard but I will never forget this year, and have so many memories to choose from. I know I'll be back in New York one day, and I know I will see my friends again soon.
Start spreading the news, I'm leaving today New York, New York... If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment